American Finalist on "Arabs Got Talent"

Picked this story up off CNN so no secret here, but I was just blown away by this 23 year old girl from Boston who doesn't even speak Arabic fluently singing a song by the legendary Egyptian singer Umm Kulthum. I remember hearing Kulthum's sorrowful, soaring voice in the Souk during Ramadan in Cairo and being so mesmerized by it that I bought a cassette tape of her music right there on the spot. I hadn't thought of Kulthum in a long time, but seeing this video brought that memory flooding back and chills to my spine. This American girl is so talented its mind blowing… and the scene of her standing before the baffled Arabic judges who have no idea what is about to come pouring out of this white girl's soul and then the transformation as they listen - the joy on their faces - is just wondrous. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. And go Jennifer! I hope you win the whole contest!

No comments:

Post a Comment